Wednesday 9 September 2015

Sweeter than Fiction?

"I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane." - John Green, Looking for Alaska

I am just like the guy mention in the story by John Green. With differences of course, no one can truly be like the characters that exist in fiction and that is because fiction is "fiction". I am timid, shy and would think of infinite scenarios before asking a girl out, let alone sleeping next to her, but thats the difference, in fiction, everything and everyone somehow finds a happy ending. But is there truly a happy ending? I used to think about this and I tend to envy the fictional characters at times because the weak,shy and timid guy can always approach the hot and gorgeous girl and they somehow end up making out and riding off into the sunset at the end. I can’t do that. I can’t even approach a pretty looking girl and start talking to her out of the blue or the hot and pretty girl won’t come up to me and start talking to me. Fiction makes everything look so beautiful and everything so easy. If they aren’t easy, they are adventurous unlike our monotonous lives and somehow in the end it turns out be the best result possible. All these perks make me think that life would be better if I was a fictional character too, but things in life are not always what they seem. If we were fictional characters, we wouldn’t have any memories good or bad unless the book specifies it or any future. Though the character might be immortal, he’s stuck in a never changing story, living it again and again. So I ask you, is fiction better than reality? 

2 comments: